For very nearsighted patients, Aurora LASIK is excited to offer the Visian ICL (implantable Collamer lens), an advanced and attractive vision correction option. This procedure — performed at the Laser & Surgery Center in Lacey — is done on one eye, with the second eye corrected two days to one week later.
Elite athletes, celebrities and military personnel have chosen the Visian ICL to correct moderate to severe nearsightedness. In fact, more than 98% of military personnel that have opted for the Visian ICL are seeing 20/20 or better.
WHAT IS VISIAN ICL?
The Visian ICL is made of an advanced soft-material lens, composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer, which provides not only UV protection and permanent vision correction, but also a quality of vision that is sharp, clear, and vivid. Additionally, the Visian ICL procedure does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea.
There is no maintenance associated with the lens, and it is intended to remain in place as long as you are satisfied with your vision. If at any point your vision changes or you wish to have them removed, it can be done in a short surgical procedure and, because your cornea is in its natural state, you are able to pursue other vision correction options.
ADVANTAGES OF THE VISIAN ICL
- Immediate vision improvement at all distances. Sharp, clear vision with great depth and dimension.
- Designed to be permanent, yet is removable. While it can permanently correct your vision, the lens can be removed and/or replaced if necessary.
- No natural corneal tissue is permanently removed or reshaped during implantation.
- Does not cause dry eye syndrome. If you have dry eyes, ask your doctor if the Visian ICL may be the best vision correction option for you.
- Short recovery time. The recovery for the Visian ICL may be as little as one day due to the very small size of the opening required. Patients typically experience minimal discomfort, and often go back to work the next day.
MORE ADVANTAGES OF THE VISIAN ICL
- UV protection. The Visian ICL advanced lens material contains a UV blocker that actually prevents harmful UVA and UVB rays from entering the eye, possibly preventing the development of UV related eye disorders.
- Treatment flexibility for the future. Your vision changes as you grow older and eventually almost everyone will need cataract surgery. Because Visian ICL maintains the structure of the eye, the measurements required for new procedures are often much easier to identify and can increase the likelihood of positive outcomes.
- Simplification of life. There is no daily maintenance as with traditional contact lenses, and no concern of problems from daily activities such as swimming and sports.
- LASIK alternative. Patients who have corneas too thin or prescriptions too high for LASIK can still have a fantastic option for lasting vision correction.
An outpatient procedure at our Laser & Surgery Center in Lacey, it generally takes around 15 minutes to complete. Prior to the procedure you will receive topical numbing drops to minimize discomfort. Dr. Rudd creates a very small opening to insert the lens into the eye with an injector. Once injected, the lens unfolds in the eye and the procedure is complete. Patients usually experience an immediate improvement in vision and are “wowed” by the results. The second eye is done a few days to one week after the first eye.
If you are between the ages of 21 and 45 and nearsighted, you may be an excellent candidate for the Visian ICL. This procedure is able to treat a range of patients from low to extremely high refractive errors and is especially beneficial to those with thin corneas and dry eyes. It is preferable that the patient has not undergone any ophthalmic surgery and does not have a history of eye disease such as iritis, glaucoma, or diabetic retinopathy.
Yes. The Visian ICL received approval from the FDA for a wide range of myopic (nearsightedness) correction needs.
The Visian ICL has been available internationally for over 10 years, and has a growing following. More than 500,000 patients are currently using it worldwide. The satisfaction rate among these patients is extremely high–above 99%. Proof that the Visian ICL provides unparalleled quality of vision is evident in case after case, with excellent and stable outcomes for patients with moderate to severe myopia.
Although the lens is intended to remain in place permanently, a surgeon can remove the implant if necessary.